Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Today is the second anniversary of my friend Carol Zartman's death. I want to take a moment to pause and honor her memory. Carol was a wonderful person, I am a better person for having been her friend. I met Carol when I was in highschool, she worked at Long John Silvers with me for a short time - she was a good friend of Jackie's - so we became instant friends too. The three of us went to UNI together. We spent countless hours together. Playing cards - we loved hearts, spoons, and gin. Watching Saturday Night Live and Star Trek - yes, I think we all had a thing for Data. Ordering pizza on Sunday because there wasn't any dorm food. Carol was just easy to be with - she was enthusiastic about the little things in life. You may hear me comment "I love it" about something or other that seems pretty insignificant. That's Carol - she taught me to fully appreciate the little things - afterall, life is made up of all the little things. Carol paved the way - she was the first to marry, the first to miscarry a baby, the first to have a baby, the first to leave this earth. She loved her children more than anything. We were pregnant together twice - we have pictures of Jackson and Olivia together as tiny babies, they were born about a week apart. I can still remember that visit. I wish that there had been more visits. It seems that life always gets so busy, and we forget to make the time, to take the time. So, in honor of Carol on this terribly sad anniversary, my advice to all of you is to make the time - you don't know if you'll get another opportunity. Accept the spur of the moment invitations. Tell your loved ones how much they mean to you. Love the little things. I miss you Carol.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

THANK you for the reminder of how precious life is and how priceless the friendships we have are along the way. (Carol N)