Sunday, August 06, 2006

It's not really the terrible two's - it's two: age of the Id. Elliott is very strongly in the midst of the age of the Id. The Super Ego and the Ego have not intervened yet. It's downright amusing at times, but not so much when it happens out in public. She is so serious and determined. I want some candy. You can't have some candy before breakfast. Insert lip quiver and shake of little fist. But I WANT some candy. I understand that you want some candy, but you can't have some candy before breakfast. Insert larger fist shake and sobs, and then as if I really didn't understand it the first time - BUT I WANT SOME CANDY! Poor girl, it's hell having to have your Id tempered. We've had our share of time in the naughty chair, and when she goes boneless and refuses to sit in her chair - her room. It never takes very long for her to get a handle on her emotions again, but for a few minutes it's just plain fierce. Like I said, amusing at home, not so much in public.

We had Steve and Betsy Minkel over last night for dinner and cards. We played 500, which was new to Chris and I. It was fun, had some of the same peculiarities of euchre, but I didn't quite get it like a pro. Then we played hearts. I love hearts - takes me back to college pretty readily, but I still got my ba-hind kicked!


The girls and I are really looking forward to being home on vacation this week. We would like to go to the petting zoo, the new pool in Cedar Falls, maybe take in a movie. On Thursday, we are going to go visit my friend Cindy and her kids in Osage - they are going to take us to the pool in St. Ansgar. So many fun things to do without going very far from home.

Summer is definitely on the wind down. My good friend Sarah is getting married a week from today. I am her personal attendant - I like to say that I am going to be her beck and call girl. It will be fun to be there and to help, and not have to be the lead character. I can still remember walking barefoot down the aisle on my dad's arm - deathly afraid that I was going to pass out. But I didn't, and as I recall - it was a pretty good time - all except for the hotel fiasco, the story of which Chris seems to live to retell.

Well Elliott just woke up from her nap and is announcing that she wants a paper pooh bear, which translates into a pooh coloring page. So I guess I've rambled long enough for today. Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

No comments: