Monday, March 19, 2007

Happy birthday to my dad!!! We spent the weekend in Dubuque to celebrate the last weekend that my father would be in his 50's. There was shopping, four-wheeling, visiting with family and all around good fun.

It's been almost two weeks since I blogged. Looking back over the last two weeks reminds me of how precious life is and how quickly things can change.

Breeze's father died on the 8th. For those of you who may not know, Breeze is my younger brother Ben's girlfriend. She's been a part of our family for quite some time now - at least five years I think. We love her dearly, and I'm so sad for her.

On the 13th, we found out that my friend Elly's little baby Drew has a serious congenital heart condition. His heart has only three chambers. I wasn't versed in heart stuff - but the normal heart has four chambers. He was airlifted to Iowa City that day and on Thursday he had the first in a series of three heart surgeries that he will have in the next 4-6 years. Elly started a care page for us all to keep informed of his progress through surgery and recovery. This 8 pound little guy has already gone through more in his two week life than most of us will in a lifetime. Please pray for Drew, Elly, Brad and 2 1/2 year old brother Derek.

Aside from the big events, life has been plodding on in what I am reminded is a blissfully normal way. The girls are growing. Olivia informed us that she is going to spend two weeks with Grandma Katie and Papa Al this summer. By the time we left on Sunday, it had somehow increased to 4 weeks. Elliott and Olivia went to the dentist on Friday - it was Elliott's first appointment. It did not go all that well. She was having tons of fun putting puzzles together in the waiting room, but when it was time to go back to the exam room she started to lose it. There was no way in God's green earth that she was going to lean back in the chair. She ended up sitting on my lap and laying back into the hygienist's lap. Even then, there was desperation and tears. We've been talking about it, and I assure her that next time she will know what to expect and she will be a bigger girl, so it won't be scary at all. She assures me that she's still going to cry. I think I may arrange to have Chris take her next time.... :)

Have a great week!

No comments: