We had a lovely little taste of pre-spring earlier in the week. It seems a million miles away now as the harsh hand of winter bears down on us again this weekend. The storm started last night with sleet, thunder, lightening, rain and freezing rain.
I had plans to join Jackie at her company outing - dinner at the Broom Factory and a play at the Oster Regent. I fretted all day, watching the forecast. I wouldn't have minded spending the night with her in Cedar Falls, but the forecast was such that it appeared if I didn't make it home Friday night, I would be there for the entire weekend. Although I would have enjoyed spending the weekend at Jackie's, I wouldn't have gotten any work done at home, and I would have missed my family.
So, after all of my fretting I decided to go. I packed an overnight bag - just in case I got stuck. The trip there was slow going with sleet accumulating on the highway, a
nd a brilliant light show in the sky. Fortunately with Jamie gone, I was able to park my car in Jackie's garage. We had a lovely dinner at the Broom Factory - we were in the upper level, so we had a perfect view of the river and the lightening. The play was enjoyable as well. Instead of joining her co-workers at the stuffed olive after the play, we decided that we had best call it a night. We had about a quarter inch of ice to scrape from the car windows. Thankfully, a few of the guys that were leaving at the same time helped us out. There was a good half inch of sleet build-up covering the roads, but it wasn't all that slick - the pebble-ness of the sleet was good for traction. The highways however, we not quite as good. I think my top speed on the way home was 40 mph. It was not terribly treacherous, but I was awfully glad to get home.
After I got home, the rain really started. This morning we have about 3/4 of an inch of ice covering the ground, and it's raining again. At least if we have to have this blast of winter, I'm glad that it happened on a weekend. We are looking forward to watching movies, playing games, and giving the
stinky dog a bath. I just hope that we're not doing it by candlelight, and that we don't end up with too much tree debris as a result of the wind and the ice. Ah mother nature!!
I had plans to join Jackie at her company outing - dinner at the Broom Factory and a play at the Oster Regent. I fretted all day, watching the forecast. I wouldn't have minded spending the night with her in Cedar Falls, but the forecast was such that it appeared if I didn't make it home Friday night, I would be there for the entire weekend. Although I would have enjoyed spending the weekend at Jackie's, I wouldn't have gotten any work done at home, and I would have missed my family.
So, after all of my fretting I decided to go. I packed an overnight bag - just in case I got stuck. The trip there was slow going with sleet accumulating on the highway, a
After I got home, the rain really started. This morning we have about 3/4 of an inch of ice covering the ground, and it's raining again. At least if we have to have this blast of winter, I'm glad that it happened on a weekend. We are looking forward to watching movies, playing games, and giving the
1 comment:
Yikes! This is some nasty weather! (note the new blog name!)!
Post a Comment