Saturday, November 25, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving!! I try to count my blessings on an ongoing basis rather than saving up for Thanksgiving - but it is a good time to reflect on how truly blessed we are.

We spent last weekend in Cedar Rapids, celebrating Thanksgiving with Ben and Breezie and my parents. I was somewhat surprised to learn when we arrived that my Grandma Schmitt had died sometime Thursday night, or Friday morning in her sleep. She was 95 and crabby. She didn't want to have to go into a nursing home, and that would have been impending. So really, it was a blessing.

We had a great celebration and feast at Ben and Breezie's house. Elliott even got her first haircut from Breeze. She sat very nice and still - like such a big girl. Might have been because she was in front of the big screen tv playing cartoons, but still... I also got a haircut from Breeze - she did a great job on both of us! I was really hoping that she would give Elliott her first haircut because I can still remember Ben getting his first haircut from our Aunt Jan. Somehow a first haircut is a lot less traumatic if it's from someone you love. And me getting a haircut - that was just plain a bonus!!!

Unfortunately, Sugar led Shadow into a life of crime before we left. Actually, I'm sure it was all Sugar - Shadow just happened to be nearby. We had left the dogs in the kitchen on Sunday while we went to Sam's Club. Chris and I did a sweep of the kitchen - knowing how opportunistic Sugey can be. We put up the bread and other miscellaneous goodies - but somehow we both overlooked the trash can. It has a swinging lid - but I'm sure it posed no challenge for Ms. Trashy herself. We came home to find ourselves locked out - neither Ben or Breezie drove, and neither one had a key to get back in. So, after breaking into the house, we had the pleasant surprise (NOT) of finding trash strewn all across the kitchen flooor. Again - I must say I'M SO SORRY to Ben and Breeze : ( There's a second part to that story that involved a carpet cleaner rental - but I will have mercy and not share that part of the story here.

Monday night I made the trek back to Dubuque for Grandma's service. She didn't want a viewing - although I guess the funeral director kept saying that they could open the casket if anyone really wanted to see her. Chris has never seen her in the 13 1/2 years that we've been together - I offered that he could come and have a peek, but it somehow seemed anticlimactic.

The Deacon started off by saying that Hazel Smith had led a full and wonderful life. I wanted to say that although I was unsure of just who Hazel Smith was - perhaps she could have taught Hazel Schmitt a few things. Hazel Schmitt didn't seem to enjoy her life, or her family all that much. The Deacon also asked for stories about Grandma - something that took most of us that knew her by surprise. Oh, don't get me wrong - there are stories about Grandma - but not the kind that you share during a funeral service.

After the service we went to the restaurant in the lower level of Grandma's apartment complex for lunch. Interestingly enough, the apartment complex that she died in was the hospital that I was born in. It was really nice to be able to sit and talk with some of the relatives that I haven't really had the opportunity to get to know. Some of them I had not seen more than a handful of times during my life. Unfortunately, my Uncle Steve and his family did not stay for the lunch. I guess you reach a certain point of alienation where things begin to seem irreparable - or not worth the bother of trying to repair.

I guess if there is anything to be learned from my Grandma, it is to hold your family close. Although none of us are perfect - we are richer and stronger for keeping our connections. We each create our own story and we need to be mindful of that.

And with that I'm done preaching. I think I probably preached more in the past few paragraphs than the Deacon did throughout the service...

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving with Roger and Diane, Great Grandma Leota, Cody and Nicoll. It was awesome to be able to go for a walk after dinner with just light jackets on.

We have spent the rest of our long weekend working on cleaning inside and outside. I mentioned renting the carpet cleaner - which involved removing all of the stuff from the floor in the living room. I really liked how that looked - no menagrie of toys covering the whole front entryway. So - that started the bug to move the toys all upstairs and reclaim the main level of the house. It was a big project - but so worthwhile!! The glider has moved from Elliott's room down to the living room - it is now designated as the reading chair. And Elliott's toys have all been sorted into totes - which slide under her bed, and her little people stuff has all been dusted and is out where she can play with it. She is very pleased to have a big girl room and more space to play with her toys.

Sorting through things with her was no easy task though. She had a few stuffed animals that were in the bottom of her toy box that I had the audacity to suggest we might be able to give to the dog. She informed me that in no uncertain terms we could NOT give them to the dog. After all - this was her most favorite little frog ever!!!!

Olivia informed us tonight at dinner that pretty soon she was going to be as tall and wide as I was. I think my jaw must have dropped, and then she reconsidered - well as tall, but maybe not as wide.

On that note.... :)

No comments: