
We had a great time at the pumpkin farm with Grandma Katie and Papa Al!! It was perfect pumpkin farm weather. Warm enough to not need a coat, but enough of a breeze to keep the Asian Lady Beetles at bay. They have so many great things to do at the Bahl Family Pumpkin Farm - the girls went down hay bale slides, bounced in the inflatable bounce house, pedaled the little tractors around the hay bale course, went through the hay bale maze, were accosted by - I mean - petted the goats, Elliott even took a pony ride - something we've never been able to convince Olivia to do, played in the corn box (like a sand box with dried corn), and picked out pumpkins to take home to Janesville. We had cotton candy and other snacks, and then ended our visit with a hay ride.
We spent the afternoon at the shed, where we played play-doh, visited with my Uncle Frank and my cousin Brenda and her family, and rode the four wheeler like crazy. I didn't think we were going to be able to talk Elliott into leaving the four wheeler. Papa had her count the wheels on the four wheeler - it went like this... one, two, seven, eight. We played Dora as we were riding - where are you going? (clap, clap, clap) North Pole!!
On Sunday we went to the fall festival at Holy Trinity. Apparantly the fall festival concept is something that is not universal - it was definitely a new experience for Chris. Where can you go to gamble for beer and candy, fish in the fish pond, partake in a silent auction where the items up for bid range from bottles of homemade wine to a full out dinner and desert with a priest - not to mention that it included a special visit from Sister Ann. It was a great time - even though there really wasn't a beer wheel at this particular fall festival.
I've been trying to prepare for my trip to San Diego - I will be picked up at home tomorrow morning shortly after five. That's early!!! Chris and I were talking logistics last night, and I explained to Elliott that I would be going on a trip and Daddy would be here taking care of her, feeding her and taking her to school. She got super excited and asked if Daddy could make her macaroni and cheese. The kid is in heaven just thinking about mac and cheese in my absence!! This morning Olivia bounded into the bathroom while I was in the shower - Good morning Dad! Dad? I'm not Dad. Oh... (her response - she thought that I had already left for my trip) - well you don't have to sound so disappointed about it!!! I'm sure they'll miss me - maybe - after they wipe there macaroni and cheese smiles off :)
I am a little bit sad that my friend Karen won't be making the trip with us. She had surgery this spring to remove a meningioma (tumor) from her head. She had a check-up appointment just over a week ago and found out at the end of last week that the part of the tumor that they couldn't remove because it was so close to her carotid artery (they cauterized it) is growing again. At this point she doesn't really know what to expect - it's possible that they will do surgery again, or they may try a course of radiation therapy. I will miss her - I had looked forward to all of the fun we would have together - but there are still nine of us going - and I can completely understand her need to stay close to home. Please keep her in your prayers - she has an appointment with her doctors in Iowa City at the end of the month and a tentative date for surgery in November.