Sunday, June 11, 2006


It's been a good weekend, even if low-key, or maybe it's been good because it was low-key. Olivia had swimming lessons on Friday night - I was thinking for some reason that we had Friday night off - so I was surprised when I looked at the calendar after dinner. I must not have been the only one thinking that way because her class was pretty sparse. They got to wear life jackets and jump off the diving board three times (I think they would have kept going all night!) and then they swam to the shallow end of the pool. Pretty big stuff!! I did feel kind of bad for them - it was a pretty chilly evening. The air temperature was about 70 and it was pretty breezy. The pool is heated, so no problem when you're in the water, but when you're standing in line at the diving board, well - I get goose bumps just thinking about it!!! Afterwards we stopped at Fareway and picked up some ready to bake cookies and some cookie dough ice cream. Oddly enough, Olivia didn't want any of the ice cream - but a nice shower and a coouple of warm cookies did the trick : )

Saturday Chris went to paint the bus, and the girls and I went shopping. We needed to find Jackie's birthday present and father's day gifts. We did good!! We even stopped for lunch at McDonalds. After dinner Olivia grabbed her scooter, Elliott hopped into her stroller and we took Sugar for a walk to dead end park. We the weather being chilly and gloomy, we were the only ones there and Sugey got to run off of the leash for a while. It was a good treat for her and it helped to burn off some of her endless energy. Elliott really enjoys the rock climbing wall thingy. She is so proud that she can do it herself. After we finished playing on the equipment, we walked down to the river. The girls like to throw rocks in - I was a bit nervous that Elliott was going to launch herself in with a rock, but amazingly she did not. Sugar was hillarious. There were a few larger rocks, partially submerged that she just ran around barking at. I don't know what she thought they were - but she seemed to think they meant trouble. Quite funny. After that we came home and rode bikes in the driveway. Olivia is getting much better at turning. She still gets frustrated pretty easy, but she's getting it. She actually fell a few times - one was a bell ringer - no, she didn't hit her head, but the bell on her bike popped apart when it hit the ground. No band-aids required!!

This morning we went to the annual pancake breakfast at the fire house. They are raising money for a new firetruck. At least I think that's what they're doing. Olivia rode her bike and did quite well. We had the good fortune to run into our old (I mean previous ;) neighbor Dennis and his new wife BethAnn. It was good to chat with them.

This afternoon we will go to the Waverly Health Center picnic. The theme is an old fashioned picnic. They're going to have three legged races, sack races, horseshoes, a cake walk, etc. It should be a lot of fun.

Next week is the second week of swimming lessons. And Jackie's birthday :) She gets to be older than me for thirteen days!!! And don't you know that I just love those thirteen days!! I can't believe June's almost half over. Where does time go?

On a more serious note - I have had a reminder of the fragility of life, and how things can all change in the blink of an eye. The son of one of my dear friends at work was in an accident with his family on Memorial Day weekend. Her son is my age and he and his wife have four kids. It was a freak accident, and thankfully her son and his family were not seriously injured, but two of the people in the other car died. My heart just breaks for both families. I cannot even imagine. It really helps to keep things in perspective. The changes that I gripe and moan about, the seeming headaches and hassles that go with everyday life - it's all small potatoes. Small potatoes that I should be so thankful for.

So enjoy the rest of your weekend - and make it a goal through the coming week not to take things for granted. Be thankful for the cool evening air, the rain, the feel of a small hand in your hand, the laughter of friends, and the love of family. Be mindful, be gracious, be present.

No comments: