I could go for three day weekends all of the time. As long as they didn't come with the devestation we saw this weekend. Just thinking about the EF5 tornado that destroyed much of the town of Parkersburg turns my heart inside out.
At work we have three employees that lost their homes and most of their possessions. Beth and her family were visiting in Minnesota when they received news of the tornado. They came home to find only the basement of their home somewhat intact. She has a daughter in first grade and a baby.
Adam and his family also lost their home and most of their possessions. They have two little girls that are about 3 and 1 1/2, and they have a premie currently in the hospital in Waterloo.
Kari also lost her home and most of her possessions.
The school in Parkersburg had a lot of damage, and school is cancelled indefinitely for them.
I just can't begin to imagine. There is no way to wrap my mind around all of it. The bits and pieces alone are devestating. I'm not all that into "things". It's the people that are irreplaceable, but that being said - my home, the physical structure, gives me comfort. To have all of your "things" and your home swept away is unfathomable. To have the normalcy that school provides for the kids taken away too. To see trees with great roots ripped from the ground. To face starting over, completely over, when it's not your plan, when you were satisfied with what you had. To have your life change completely in the blink of an eye.
The hard part right now is wanting to do something, but not really being able to do a lot to help. We have started an earned time drive at work to donate time to the affected employees. As they are able to identify their needs, we will do more for them. Please keep them, and all the families in Parkersburg, New Hartford, Dunkerton and other impacted areas in your thoughts and prayers. And hug your kids, your husband, your wife - and enjoy what you have.
Wednesday, May 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Love and prayers going to all of you there in Butler/Bremer counties. I was in Nora Springs Sunday when the storms went through, and while it was scary for a moment it was nothing compared to what we saw the next morning. I just saw a photo today of the tornado as it moved along D-17 north of Dike - the same road I used to take all the time as I drove back to Shell Rock from Des Moines. Sobering and scary stuff.
I used to drive through Parkersburg on my way to UNI. Horrible news. I feel so bad for the people who lost their homes. Hugging the boys now and will hug Princess when she gets home from school....
Post a Comment